Thursday, January 8, 2015

Week 12: Thanksgiving is

Our Computer died a few weeks ago and I had already uploaded my pictures from my camera so I have no pictures for this weeks activities. 

This week we read Thanksgiving Is.  The book is about Thanksgiving in other cultures and some of the Thanksgiving traditions in America.  I liked learning about Canadian Thanksgiving.  I have a friend who is from Canada and we go over to her house for Canadian Thanksgiving.  I also liked that the Greeks worshiped their goddess of agriculture.  I liked that she is a girl and I like helping my family in the garden.  agriculture is the science of farming.  

For math I counted all the things that I am thankful for and made a Thanksgiving tree.  I had 34 things I was thankful for.
I practiced writing writing the numbers 1-20.  I sometime write the numbers backwards.  And I'm practicing counting to 100 by 1s 10s and 5s.  

For Science I learned about Turkeys.  Did you know we have wild turkeys in every state except Alaska?  I've seen a wild turkey before.  My cousin lives in North Bend and they have a wild turkey and roams around the neighborhood.  But it is not a nice turkey so we don't get to close.
I learned that the pilgrims sailed a crossed an ocean, I can't remember the ocean, but they sailed form England and they landed in a forest now called Plymouth Rock.   We live on the other side of the country.  I also made corn bread with my mom, like the pilgrims ate on the first thanksgiving.   I also love watching Charlie Browns Thanksgiving special about the pilgrims.

We had lots of fun making Thanksgiving art.  I made a turkey using tissue paper and glue.  I cut out leaves and made a Thanksgiving tree and wrote on every leaf things I am thankful for.  My hand hurt from writing so much.  I also made a thanksgiving pie out of paper and helped my mom make a turkey out of vegetables.  And I made a Thanksgiving card for my Grandma Sharolee.  


No comments:

Post a Comment